Sophie Hatter Cosplay Tutorial; Pt 1: May All Your Bacon Burn

So I thought for my first post I would talk about my Sophie Hatter Cosplay. I bought most of the items online and then adjusted them as needed when they arrived. I also made a really cute Calcifer that glows which is mostly what I'll be

The first thing I did was order the wig and the hat. I wanted to make sure these were both accurate and able to fit my head ( I have a really big head :'D)

While I was waiting for those to arrive I wanted to make a Calcifer. So I did some research looked at many reference photos and finished it after just a couple of days.




I used this tutorial here:

https://youtu.be/NkI_uT5kTp8

It was SUPER helpful and the end product was exactly what I was looking for. Instead of using a plastic ornament I used a plastic bath bomb maker which I got from the local craft store, but I'm sure any sort of plastic orb would work great.

I also just drilled a hole in the bottom and stuffed the fairy lights into it, partly cause I couldn't find a container for them like in the video and partly because I really wanted it to be a strong glow.


Materials:

Medium sized plastic orb thing

Some sort of drill ( I used a regular one that you find in tool boxes.)

Hot glue gun

Hot glue

Red, Orange and Yellow Acrylic paint 

Modge Podge

"Fairy Lights"



  • Step 1: So to start I wanted to glue the two pieces together, ( if it is in two pieces.) I just used the hot glue for this, it worked great for me. ALSO, buy a pack with multiples of whatever plastic ball you are using, I think I had 4 or 5 and I ended up using all of them, just because there is so much trial and error in this part of the process.

  • Step 2: Next, I wanted to drill a hole in the bottom similar to the video. I just used a regular old screw gun, theres probably a better method, but thats what I used. I put it in the "bottom of it centered almost right on the seam of the plastic, but not quite just because I was worried it might crack. Again, I ended up using all of my extras during this. The hole was just wide enough for the lights to go in.



  • Step 3: Then it was time to use the hot glue, this part I was really nervous about, but it was a lot easier then I thought. I also found this part to take the longest so get out your Netflix app and start watching your favorite show, ( in my case I was rewatching all the Sherlock episodes.) This part is fairly straightforward from the video, just don't try to rush the process or anything and make sure to leave the hole in the bottom open. Also! Careful of the little spiderwebs that come from the glue gun, they get really annoying in the painting process.



  • Step 4: After the hot glueing was all done, it's time to paint! Painting this was super fun, being able to almost bring calcified to life with the paint. I watched the video a lot during this and also looked at reference pictures galore. This part just depends mostly on how you want it to look. I was going for slightly realistic, mostly like the movie. I put a darker red towards the bottom of the "flames" and then added lighter colors like yellow and orange toward the tops. I also sealed the paint with Modge Podge, because the acrylic paint had a really weird texture and was trying to rub off. Once I sealed it though it was totally fine.



  • Step 5: Adding the eyes is the second to last step. I used a white foam that I had leftover from another cosplay. I cut out the eyes slightly big and then paired them down to how I wanted them. Then I added to little black pupils in the middle with a sharpie. After that I added them on using hot glue.




  • Step 6: Last, but not least, it was time to add the lights. My lights were a kind of warm light just to add that "flame" effect. I just kind of strung them through the bottom hole that I drilled and left the switch box out. It was easy to switch on and off quickly this way and I was still able to hold it without people seeing the switch box.


I hope that this helped you all out! I absolutely loved the end product of this and it's one of my favorite things that I've made. Shoutout to the maker of that video, because that helped me SO much. I don't think I would've had the Calcifer I wanted without it! :D


May all your bacon burn,

but not really cause that would be sad,

Syd

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts